Family Friendly Recipes


I spend a lot of time on meals and food for my family. They (we) are huge eaters. I'm scared for when my girls are teenagers. I thought I'd share some recipes I've used recently that are inexpensive, easy and good. My kids liked these A LOT. Please share yours too as I can always use new recipes.

Here's the first one:

Navajo Indian Fried Bread (for a snack AND dinner on the same day)

-4 c. flour
-1 tbsp. baking powder
-1 tsp. salt
-1 egg
-1 1/2 c. warm water (80-100 degrees)
-Vegetable Oil

Mix flour, baking powder and salt together and then add egg. Mix together. Pour in the water and mix with hands until soft. Cover and let stand for at least 1 hour. Pour enough oil in a large pan (a frying pan with high sides works well) to bring the level to a half-inch or so. Heat oil over medium-high heat. Take a ball of soft dough, pat it back and forth and pull until flat and round (about 5 inch diameter and 1/2 inch thick). Place in hot oil and turn a few times until golden brown on both sides.

(This makes enough for a family of 5 to have a snack and a meal)

For a snack:
-Dip in a mixture of cinnamon and sugar while still hot and place on paper towels to cool
-Spread butter on honey on top

-For dinner:
-Top fried bread with taco meat and other taco fixings. Place on a cookie sheet and heat in the oven at 400 degrees until cheese melts. This meal reminds me of Mexican sopes, which I love!

5 comments:

  1. For some reasons Snacks keep coming to mind! My boys eat a lot throughout the day instead of just mealtimes and so I try to make snacks filling and somewhat healthy! Here are 2 quick and easy things I do:
    -Growing up, my mom used to put a thin layer of icing or peanut butter on graham crackers and make a sandwich for our snack. Now I do it with my boys!
    -Ants on a Log: peanut butter on sticks of celery with raisins on top (and that's something your children can sprinkle on)!

     
  2. Navajo Fry bread is SO good! Yes! I need to make that soon.

    I can't think of anything genius right now. My kids are not big eaters. It seems when I make something that should be kid friedly, they still don't eat it...
    I make smoothie a lot, since they eat that. I use keifer & I mix in a little protien powder & some ground flax seed. They still like it.

     
  3. Erin, I recently started putting flax seed and oat bran on my kids cereal to help fill them up for breakfast (they always beg for more after a full bowl of cereal). For whatever reason, psychological or physical, it seems to be working.

     
  4. That bread looks awesome! We will try it! We eat a lot of pancakes over here. Sometimes they are still sitting out on the counter when the kids ask for a snack, so I'll put some peanut butter on one and they are happy! Lots of times we have 2nd breakfasts around here!

     
  5. Oh my goodness, Karie! I must made the Najavo Fried Bread and dipped it in cinnamon and sugar... YUM!!!! Now I can't eat the rest of the day cause I ate too many. =? James and the boys loved them as well. I put it on my menu for next week to make with Taco Fixings. Thanks for a great recipe!

     

Search This Blog